When you purchase a new ice maker, or before you use one that’s been in storage a while, it’s a good idea to clean it thoroughly, or you might end up with dirty, contaminated, or just bad-tasting ice. Particularly with new ice makers, it’s not uncommon for people to detect a slight “plastic” flavor to the ice. The problem can easily be overcome with this simple cleaning procedure, and a little a vinegar or lemon juice. The vinegar will reduce scaly buildup from hard water, while the lemon juice will eliminate any musty, moldy odors.
Most NewAir portable ice makers can be cleaned using this method, but please check your product’s Owner’s Manual for specific instructions.
Cleaning the Exterior
Use a mild detergent (like dishwashing soap) and warm water to wipe down the outside of your unit. Use a soft cloth and avoid any abrasive cleansers to avoid scratching the finish.
Cleaning the Interior
- Make sure the unit is turned off and unplugged.
- Open the drain plug to drain the unit of water.
- Remove the ice bucket and ice scoop from the unit. Wash them with warm water and mild detergent, and set aside.
- Wash the interior of the unit with warm water, diluted detergent and a soft cloth. Add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the water to help remove hard water buildup or eliminate plastic flavors in the ice.
- Rinse thoroughly and allow the water to drain. It might be necessary to rinse more than once, to ensure there is no leftover soapy residue.
- Dry the interior and exterior with a soft cloth.
- Replace the ice bucket and scoop.
Using the Ice Maker’s Self Cleaning Cycle
These NewAir portable ice makers feature a self-cleaning function, which offers the ability clean the interior mechanism of the ice maker quickly and efficiently:
- NewAir Ai-210SS
- NewAir AI-210W
- NewAir AI-215-SS
- NewAir AI-215-R
To operate the self-cleaning cycle:
- Add a 1:1 mixture of water and vinegar to the water tank, up to the water level mark.
- Plug the unit it and press the CLEAN button.
- The cleaning cycle will take about 5 or 6 minutes and the unit will power down automatically when finished.
- Unplug the unit and drain it completely.
- Fill the tank with fresh, clean water up to the water level mark.
- Plug the unit in, and press the CLEAN button again.
- When the cleaning cycle is complete, unplug the unit and drain the water.
- Dry the interior with a soft cloth.
After any cleaning operation, it might be necessary to discard the first batch or two of ice produced, as the cleaning products are fully flushed from the unit.